- ***DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MIDNIGHT 14th SEPTEMBER***
One Poem: 9th Bangor Poetry Competition
Three poems: 9th Bangor Poetry Competition
The Ninth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition is now open. We are accepting poems on the theme of ‘Freedom’!
This year will see the Bangor Poetry Competition take on a slightly new format due to the given circumstances. We are now accepting poems on the theme of ‘Freedom’.
You can email your poems to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading ‘9th BANGOR POETRY COMPETITION- Your name’ .
You can enter up to six poems per person. The submission donation for poems is as follows: One poem £4/ Three poems £10. Please pay the submission donation following the PayPal link above and include your PayPal transaction number in the body of the email.
All poems must be in English and previously unpublished (they should not have been published online, in print, on social media or blogs). They should be no longer than 40 lines (not including stanza breaks) and can be in any style. (Traditional right through to experimental)
Please attach your poems in a separate Word document with no trace of your name. All submissions are read anonymously by the editorial team. Please title your documents as ‘9th Bangor Poetry Competition’. Please use Times New Roman size 12, single space.
In the body of your email, please attach a 50 word third person biography and attach a photograph of yourself, which will be used for publication if you are selected, alongside your PayPal transaction number and contact details.
Interpret this theme as you may- we love to see exciting takes on the theme. We do advise against titling your poem ‘Freedom’ — instead go for something original.
The deadline for submissions is midnight 14th September 2021. Within three weeks of the deadline a shortlist of 15 poems shall be announced. These 15 poems will then be displayed on our website and voted on by the public via email during a local festival. (Strictly one vote per person, which will be checked carefully.)
The winners will be announced at The Bangor Literary Journal Launch event. (Date coming soon)
This year’s prizes are:
First Place: £100 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate; reading opportunities and your poem shall hang for one year at The Blackberry Path Art Studios. Plus, a special feature in issue 16 of The Bangor Literary Journal.
Second Place: £50 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
Third Place: £30 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal..
Fourth Place: £10 cash and a certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
Fifth Place: £10 cash and a certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
There are shall also be 2 Highly Commended Poet certificates issued.
- Please email your submissions to email@example.com with the heading (9th BANGOR POETRY COMPETITION-Name)
- Submit a maximum of six previously unpublished poems (we consider it published if it has appeared on: social media, on line or in print) no longer than 40 lines long.
- Poems should be single spaced and in New Times Roman, size 12.
- Poems should be in a separate Word document attached to the email. There should not be any traces of your name within the document, as work is read anonymously.
- Include a brief note, author’s bio (no more than 50 words), contact details and an author photo in the body of the email, with your PayPal transaction number.
- We accept all forms of poetry, but it must be your best work.
- Work cannot be changed once it has been sent to us.
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions- Please DO NOT send us poems that you have also sent (at the same time) to other competitions/ journals.
- You retain the rights to your work, however we can use your work in upcoming features etc. Please credit us in future with first publication of the piece.
- You can enter from anywhere in the world.
- We welcome established, emerging and first time poets!
- All work must be your own original work.
- You must be 16 years or older to enter.
Our previous winners:
First Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Mary Lappin
Second Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Lara Sunday
Third Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Helen Kennedy
Fourth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Gerry McCullough
Fifth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Emma Stone
Sixth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Mary Charteris
Seventh Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Gaynor Kane
Eighth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Christine Valters Paintner