One Poem: 7th Bangor Poetry Competition
Three poems: 7th Bangor Poetry Competition
The Seventh Annual Bangor Poetry Competition is now open. We are accepting poems on the theme of ‘Elements’!
This year will see the Bangor Poetry Competition take on a slightly new format. We are now accepting poems on the theme of ‘Elements’ which is part of Aspects Literary Festival.
You can email your poems to email@example.com with the heading ‘7th BANGOR POETRY COMPETITION- Your name’ .
You can enter up to six poems per person. The submission donation for poems is as follows: One poem £4/ Three poems £10. Please pay the submission donation following the PayPal link above and include your PayPal transaction number in the body of the email.
All poems must be in English and previously unpublished (they should not have been published online, in print, on social media or blogs). They should be no longer than 40 lines (not including stanza breaks) and can be in any style.
Please attach your poems in a separate Word document with no trace of your name. All submissions are read anonymously by the editorial team. Please title your documents as ‘7th Bangor Poetry Competition’. Please use Times New Roman size 12, single space.
In the body of your email, please attach a 50 word third person biography and attach a photograph of yourself, which will be used for publication if you are selected, alongside your PayPal transaction number and contact details.
Interpret this theme as you may! You could submit work on the elements of fire, water, earth, air; weather elements; elements within science; an element as a basic part of something else; an element as a small important amount; elements of the past, your family…. or interpret this theme in any way that you see fit.
The deadline for submissions is midnight of 30th August 2019. Within a week of the deadline a shortlist of 15 poems shall be announced. These 15 poems will be printed by us, framed by us and displayed at The Blackberry Path Art Studios, Bangor, Northern Ireland.
These shortlisted poems will be then be voted on during Aspects Literature Festival by the public. The winners will be announced at The Aspects Bangor Literary Journal Launch event.
The launch of the Poetry Exhibition and Voting will take place a at The Blackberry Path Art Studios, Gray’s Hill, Bangor, Co Down, N.I on Wednesday 25th September 2019, 7pm-9pm with wine and canapes. All shortlisted poets are invited to read their work at this event. The exhibition and voting will continue as part of Aspects Festival from Thursday 26th September through to Sunday 29th September 2019, with the winners announced at The Bangor Literary Journal launch event in early October, date, time and venue to be confirmed in Bangor, Co Down.
All typed and framed poems will be on sale for £10 with a 25% commission taken, £7.50 from each sale goes to the poet. Alongside the poetry we also will have a display of local artwork.
This year’s prizes are:
First Place: £100 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate; reading opportunities and your poem shall hang for one year at The Blackberry Path Art Studios. Plus, a special feature in the Aspects issue of The Bangor Literary Journal.
Second Place: £50 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
Third Place: £30 cash; a writing book and pen; a framed certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal..
Fourth Place: £10 cash and a certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
Fifth Place: £10 cash and a certificate, publication in The Bangor Literary Journal.
There are shall also be 2 Highly Commended Poet certificates issued.
All shortlisted exhibitors shall receive a certificate and the opportunity to be presented with it at our awards ceremony.
- Please email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading (7th BANGOR POETRY COMPETITION-Name)
- Submit a maximum of six previously unpublished poems (we consider it published if it has appeared on: social media, on line or in print) no longer than 40 lines long.
- Poems should be single spaced and in New Times Roman, size 12.
- Poems should be in a separate Word document attached to the email. There should not be any traces of your name within the document, as work is read anonymously.
- Include a brief note, author’s bio (no more than 50 words), contact details and an author photo in the body of the email, with your PayPal transaction number.
- We accept all forms of poetry, but it must be your best work.
- Work cannot be changed once it has been sent to us.
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions- Please DO NOT send us poems that you have also sent (at the same time) to other competitions/ journals.
- You retain the rights to your work, however we can use your work in upcoming features etc. Please credit us in future with first publication of the piece.
- You can enter from anywhere in the world.
- We welcome established, emerging and first time poets!
- All work must be your own original work.
- You must be 16 years or older to enter.
Our previous winners:
First Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Mary Lappin
Second Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Lara Sunday
Third Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Helen Kennedy
Fourth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Gerry McCullough
Fifth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Emma Stone
Sixth Annual Bangor Poetry Competition Winner: Mary Charteris